Sunday, September 7, 2014

The importance of support and my latest take via Divorced Moms

Today's column has everything for the myeloma community, divorced moms, community, and single mom community!

So it's been four days since catching the flu and I still can't kick it. I eat. My stomach hates me for it. I get up an run and errand. I don't like that either. I can't stop sneezing. I really jinxed myself on this one. The night before I got sick, I told my mom, "It's been three months since I've been sick. This is amazing." As soon as I said it, I knew I made a mistake. When I went to bed, I thought that the worst thing that could happen would be for me to get the stomach flu the next day, which is the same day as my big interview. And guess what? I got the stomach flu the next day, the same day as my big interview. Geez, thanks Stars Up There!

So about the interview. Huntsman has developed a new drug to help stop the side effects from Velcade, like low platelet counts. There is a company in Florida that produces health segments for news programs. They produce, bundle them, sell them to news channels big and small. This is one of them. When my segment will be complete (shouldn't be too long) and who will use it, we will see. But I will keep you posted! There's lots more on my latest Divorced Moms column below. Tomorrow, Jenny and I give a presentation at BYU about myeloma. Community outreach is good.

(Side note: Today is Siena's birthday. She is nine years old. We are going to her favorite restaurant, Tipenyaki, for a late lunch, then having the family over for cake. Her party is on Friday. I am taking five of her besties to get manis/pedis/hair/makeup done and then to dinner. Cute.)

Happy Sunday and happy reading my latest Divorced Moms column about the importance of a support structure. I know all too well we can't got it alone. We need family, friends, neighbors... whatever it takes! (And they need us! Reciprocation is good.)

5 Tips For Creating Your Single Mom Support Structure
by Lizzy Smith                    
September 05, 2014
                                                                       
italy dresses.jpg
As single moms, it’s imperative that we have a good support group around us. Whether it’s a paid nanny, neighbors, church members, a close friend who lives nearby or, thank goodness for me, family-- that support structure is critical in navigating life solo.
So last week, I was asked to do filming for a pre-taped news segment. I woke up Wednesday morning excited and ready for the interview. Except I didn’t feel so great. I somehow managed to get dressed (yay--I picked out what I was going to wear the night prior), and do my hair and makeup. And that’s when I realized that I was getting sick. Not just “I think I might have a sore throat coming on” either. Rather, I felt dizzy and fuzzy, that awful feeling of vertigo. I was hot and clammy. I needed help and I needed it now.

A few texts later, I had the neighbors picking up my children so I could get some extra rest before I had to leave. Except I soon realized that I wasn’t capable of driving myself. I rang my dad and he drove me to the filming while I slept during the drive up. While we were getting off the freeway, I saw a billboard for hamburgers. I thought I was going to be sick. This was not a good sign.
I met up with the film crew. They had the perfect spot for the interview—it was a short walk up a trail overlooking the mountains and standing directly in the sun. I somehow made it up to that spot and while they were setting up, I had to sit on the ground. My whole world was going dark. When I stood up, I almost fainted.
“I can’t do this. I’m so sorry. Can we find some shade and maybe I can sit down while we do the interview?” I asked.

We switched to a much better area where I felt a nice breeze. Relief. I almost wanted to kiss someone but I didn't have the energy. I ran off to the bathroom twice to throw up while they set up. Not one of my better moments, to be sure. I sat down, did the interview perfectly on just one try (or at least that’s what they said!), and then we had to film me doing “stuff” for filler. I had to walk up and down stairs (I seriously hardly remember it because everything was black—I can’t believe I didn’t pass out), walk into a building and open the door, and sit on a bench while using my phone. During that last segment, I started texting myself “please hurry I think I’m dying.”

No comments:

Post a Comment