Friday, October 10, 2014

Divorced Moms: Learning to love my body just the way it is

From Divorced Moms.

Learning To Love My Body Just The Way It Is
by Lizzy Smith                    
October 09, 2014
Share on Tumblr
11a1.jpgMy 14 year old daughter, Morgan, is done growing. I took her to the pediatrician and we did a bone scan so I make this statement with authority. She is 4 feet 11 inches tall. A mini. And she is gorgeous. Not only is she physically beautiful, but she is wise, funny, kind and thoughtful, too. She's also wiser than I am much of the time and I really look up to her (ok, since I'm 5 feet 8 inches tall, I literally look down on her but I look up to her wisdom, if you follow me).

For the past year or so, Morgan lamented over her height. She so badly wanted to be five feet tall at least. We even did a little research on taking growth hormones. The risks, we determined, weren't worth it. Plus once we went to the pediatrician and did the bone scan, it was too late anyway. The bones had fused and forevermore, she was going to be whatever height she was meant to be. No tweaking what nature intended.

Morgan was born in Russia. Her birth weight was under five pounds and she went full term. Her birth mother relinquished custody right there in the hospital. For the next year, Morgan spent most of her time in a hospital fighting off pneumonia and whooping cough. So, really, she didn't have a lot of opportunity to catch up on weight. When she was placed in the orphanage, I am told that she wasn't a big eater and was overwhelmed by her surroundings, especially during meal and snack time. She quickly developed a habit of putting food in her mouth and simply sucking on it for as long as it would hold up. When I met Morgan and adopted her, she was 26 months old and weighed 19-1/2 pounds. She was so cute and, well, tiny. And today, she is still cute and tiny.

Morgan gets teased a lot about her size. But as far as I can tell, it is all in gest-- no bullying. She is called Tiny, Mini, and Munchkin by her friends. Yesterday, she read to me a post she sent on via Instagram: I am tiny and I love it. I breathe less oxygen, my Uggs cost less, and I can wear any heals I want without being taller than a guy. I love my size! The response was overwhelming. Her friends loved her post! One cute boy said, "What, you're small? I never noticed. hahaha."

Keep reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment